Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Unity, Separation, and Transcendence

I was checking out Autumn's blog, looking at one of the repeating motifs in creation myths, and I read "The mother and father of the world being so close together that nothing can separate them (until their offspring do)." I noticed this motif in the presentations, but something about reading this, perhaps the way in which it is worded, sparked a revelation. I see in this passage an archetype that permeates history and is especially relevant today. I see an inseparable couple, rapturous and full of glee, who are transformed after childbirth. I think about my mom and dad separating, and I wonder how much my birth affected their once happy union. Is this an archetype derived from irrational fear or did it result from examining the changes in parents' relationships post-childbirth? Undoubtedly, the introduction of children complicates things. The love previously guaranteed to a single individual must then be allocated to multiple individuals. Attention is divided, and the parents' lives as they knew them are essentially over.
Maybe this isn't a bad thing, though. After all, in our creation myths, it is the separation of the parents that leads to eventual creation of the world. This can be applied to the individual. Maybe it is the separating ourselves from selfish desires and surrendering ourselves to something else that allows for something transcendent to occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment