Thursday, April 18, 2013

Summation of the class

This is the end, the twilight of our class. And I can't help but feel like I'm dying. I kid you not, as I was staring blankly at this white screen, these words came through my headphones:
 "Our bodies are prisons for our souls. Our sin and blood the iron bars of confinement, but fear not. All flesh decays. Death claims all to ash. And thus death frees every soul."
I was watching The Fountain earlier today and paused it prior to this dialogue. At the mention of death, it inexplicably resumed playing to comfort me in my grief. It seems I had forgotten that "Death is the road to awe" and likewise "the mother of beauty." The death of this class will give birth to a new life. And I'll have the previous life to draw upon as I progress through subsequent cycles.

This semester, most of my classes have been a prison to my soul. I've been barred by structure and trivialities and appeasement. But amidst the incarceration I've had this class to keep me grounded in the profound. We covered life and death and what it means to be human, and I couldn't ask for a better edification. Referential mania has me by the hair and I have not the capacity to express the scope of these details and the depth in which they relate to my life, but I'm on my way. I've gained a pretty decent foundation. Not all transformation requires pain. This class is evidence of that. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to the basis for my self-actualization. And a special thanks to Professor Sexson. Man does not live by bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of Professor Sexson.   

No comments:

Post a Comment